Violin Start-up Program
at Black Hills State University
Has your child ever wanted to play a musical instrument? Why not give violin a try this summer in a fun, nurturing environment, away from the stress of school! Starting July 30th through August 10th we will be offering a two-week start-up program for all new beginner students ages 8-11. Classes will cover the basics of the violin, posture and hand position, note-reading, rhythm, and early songs. No violin rental necessary*!
Registration deadline: July 23rd, 2018
- Classes will be held Monday-Friday, July 30-August 10, 2-5PM (No classes on weekends)
- All classes will be held at Black Hills State University
- *All instruments will be provided by the Rushmore Music Festival through Haggerty's Musicworks -- no rentals necessary!
- All learning will take place in class. Students will store instruments at the University overnight and will not have daily homework assignments.
- Instructors: Dr. Katie Smirnova & Brett Walfish (Co-founders of the Rushmore Music Festival)
- Program will conclude with a short student recital with reception at Meier Hall
- Program Cost: $300
Sample Daily Schedule
2-2:45 Group Violin Class
3-3:45 Music Reading/Singing/Eurhythmics/Creative Listening
3:45-4:15 Outdoor/Snack Break
4:15-5 Group Violin Class
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
How do I register?
- Please complete the online application form with payment. Form can also be printed out and mailed to our Festival address.
What will I need to buy/bring to class?
- All learning materials will be provided, including the instruments.
Do I need to send my child with snacks for Snack Break?
- Yes, please include a healthy snack for the longer break.
How will I know my child's violin size?
- On the registration, you will be asked to measure your child's arm.
What is the attendance policy?
- Students are expected to arrive 5-10 minutes before the start of class and picked up promptly at the end of the day. Due to the generally fast-paced nature of the class, families are strongly encouraged to prioritize this learning experience and avoid missing any classes.
Can parents attend the classes?
- Absolutely! Parents are not only welcome, but encouraged to watch all or any portion of the classes.
Where can my child take lessons in the fall?
- Students may choose to sign up for private lessons or join the group violin class at Spearfish Classical Christian School starting September 3rd, 2018.
Can the program be cancelled?
- Only in the event that enrollment is not met, the Violin Start-Up Program may be cancelled. All registration fees and tuition would be refunded promptly.