at BLACK HILLS STATE UNIVERSITY - SPEARFISH, SD
July 1 - 16, 2018
The Music Academy program offers an all-inclusive intensive musical experience for young intermediate as well as advanced students, ages 10 through college. Each student receives weekly private lessons, chamber music coachings, with several opportunities to participate in masterclasses held by our faculty. Students have two hours of mandatory individual practice time as well as student-run group rehearsal time to ensure the most progress is made throughout the program.
Throughout the two weeks, each student chamber group learns a new work, covering topics such as ensemble building skills, interpersonal communication skills, rehearsal and practice techniques, meaningful and successful expression of ideas, understanding the uniqueness of individual parts, leadership within the ensemble, stylistic integrity, stage presence, and connecting with your audience. Students have the opportunity to showcase their progress in three student performances, where all parents, friends, and the community are invited to attend or tune in via Facebook Livesteam.
- 5-10 minute Youtube video (or other format) of 2 contrasting pieces learned within the past year.
- Completed application
- Completed financial aid/merit scholarship application (if requesting financial assistance)
- $50 registration fee (non-refundable)
- Scholarship Deadline: March 5th, 2018
- Application Deadline: April 6th, 2018
- 2 weekly hour-long private lessons (4 total)
- 2 weekly hour-long chamber music coachings (4 total)
- 4 weekly hour-long music theory/ear-training classes (8 total)
- Dalcroze Eurhythmics classes (4 total)
- Improvisation Workshop
- Composition workshop for non-composition students
- Weekly masterclasses, technique, and orchestra audition prep classes